We are committed to developing and expanding our provision of training services to external organisations and providing in-house lectures delivered by both internal and external speakers which are open and available to individuals working in the area of mental health.
We would be pleased to hear from you if you feel that you have a training need that we could assist in addressing. We are keen to assist in the training of healthcare professionals, hospital managers, psychiatrists, IMCAs and IMHAs and can provide CPD accredited lectures and training when required.
Although not limited to the areas set out here some examples of areas in which our lawyers would be happy to provide information and training are:
- Tribunal Process and Procedure, including delivery of evidence and preparation of reports
- The Mental Capacity Act, including its interrelationship with the Mental Health Act
- Consent to Treatment provisions
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards, including recent developments and case law
- Community Treatment Orders, including the lawful limits of their use and the recalled patient
- The criminal process and the mentally disordered offender
- Restricted patients, including the role of the Ministry of Justice, discharge and recall
- Mental Health Act update including recent case law developments
We have experience of providing initial training to hospital managers to allow them to function confidently and lawfully and Michael regularly lectures to other professionals in the area of mental health law. In addition Michael delivers the two day approved mental health panel course for aspiring mental health lawyers which eventually leads to the Law Society mental health panel accreditation. We would be happy to tailor training to the needs of your individual organisation or staff and you should feel free to call and discuss your needs. Michael Butler would be pleased to answer any questions you might have.